Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) Beta 1 Released!
The development team at Ubuntu has released the first Ubuntu 10.04 beta release, which brings a host of exciting new features. Ubuntu 10.04 also features a New ‘Light’ theme and Logo.
New features since Ubuntu 9.10 –
- GNOME – Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 1 includes the latest GNOME desktop environment with a number of great new features.
- Linux kernel 2.6.32 – Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 1 includes the 2.6.32-16.25 kernel based on 22.214.171.124.
- KDE SC 4.4 – Kubuntu 10.04 Beta 1 features the new KDE SC 4.4. For more information about new features in Kubuntu, see the Kubuntu technical overview.
- HAL removal – This beta sports full removal of HAL from the boot process, making Ubuntu faster to boot and faster to resume from suspend.
- Major new version of likewise-open
- New default open source driver for nVidia hardware
- Improved support for nVidia proprietary graphics drivers
- Social from the Start – We now feature built-in integration with Twitter, identi.ca, Facebook, and other social networks with the MeMenu in the panel.
- New boot experience – Multiple changes to look, feel and speed of the boot experience have been included in the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS beta.
- New Indicators
- New Themes – The desktop has been beautified with the addition of two brand new themes, Ambiance and Radiance. New wallpaper and icons are also included.
- Ubuntu One File Syncing
- Ubuntu One Music Store
- New features for Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC)
- Security Issue when upgrading from Lucid Alpha 2
The ISOs and torrents of Ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 are available for Download at: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta1
You can also upgrade directly from Ubuntu 9.10 or Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
Note: This is a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on April 29, 2010.